Donald G. Targan
Partner and Atlantic City Personal Injury Lawyer
Born in Atlantic City, New Jersey; admitted to bar, 1962, New Jersey.
Mr. Targan has been consistently named by peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America as well as a Super Lawyer in New Jersey Monthly Magazine in the fields of medical negligence and personal injury. The “Super Lawyer” recognition is based on balloting statewide and selection by a Blue Ribbon Panel. Of the approximately 80,000 attorneys practicing in the state, less than 50 were recognized in the field of plaintiff’s medical malpractice; less than 100 in the field of plaintiff’s personal injury. He has also received a Martindale-Hubbell AV® peer review rating; this is reserved for lawyers that exhibit the highest level of professional excellence as noted by their peers.
Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney
Before entering Law School, Mr. Targan served in the United States Army, Signal Battalion Corp in Darmstadt Germany (1954-56). Following his honorable discharge, Mr. Targan went to college and law school under the G.I Bill. He served as an Assistant United States Attorney for several years assigned to South Jersey. In 1969, he opened his law practice in his hometown at One South New York Avenue, where he remains today.
Mr. Targan has been recognized for his longtime attention to continuing legal education as a Diplomat in the American Association of Justice and the New Jersey Association of Trial Attorneys. This distinction is earned for years of participation in continuing educational programs offered on the state and national level. Mr. Targan also volunteers to mentor young attorneys in Atlantic County.
Education and Publications
- American University (B.A., 1959; J.D., 1961).
- Book Review Editor, American University Law Review, 1960.
- Editor-in-Chief, American University Law Review, 1961.
- Author: “Justice Black-inherent coercion, analytical study of the standards for determining the voluntariness of confessions,” American University Law Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1961
- Case Note, Conflicts of Law, Vol. 9, No. 1, American University Law Review, 1961
- Case Note, Constitutional Law, Commerce Clause, Vol. 9, No. 2, 1960, American University Law Review.
- Attorney, Fee Counsel, Small Business Administration, United States, 1963.
- Assistant United States Attorney, 1966-1969.
- Master, Vincent Hahnemann American Inns of Court, Barrister.
- Atlantic County, New Jersey State and American Bar Associations
- Association of Trial Lawyers of New Jersey (Director, 1983—)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy (Certified Civil Trial Advocate)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Diplomat). (With U.S. Army, 1954-1956) (Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification)
- US Attorneys Alumni Association of New Jersey.
- The Academy of Trial Lawyers of America.
- Ryan v. Renny 203 NJ 37 (2010)
- Mahoney v. Podolnick, 168 NJ 202 (2001)
- Holdsworth v. Galler, 345 NJ Super 294 (App. Div. 2001)
- Housing Authority of Atlantic City v. Atlantic City Exposition, Inc., 62 NJ 322 (1972)
- In re Application of Tufi, 182 NJ Super 631 (App. Div. 1982)
- State v. Jordan, 113 NJ Super 563 (App. Div. 1970)
- Cape May County Sav. & Loan v. Sebastian, 93 NJ Super. 77 (Ch. Div. 1966)
- Warrington v. Bird, 204 NJ Super 611 (App. Div. 1985).
Personal Injury Practice Areas
- Personal injury law
- Medical malpractice
- Auto Accidents
- Casino injuries and negligence
- Civil trial matters
If you would like to speak with attorney Targan or another personal injury lawyer, please contact our law office to set up a free consultation.