Birth Injuries and the Law
Atlantic City Birth Injury Lawyer Representing Families and Medical Malpractice Victims Across Southern NJ
When a health care professional caring for a pregnant woman is medically negligent before or during delivery, the newborn child may suffer life-long injuries as a result. When this happens, a birth injury lawyer can help you bring a case against the doctor or hospital responsible for the compensation you need to help you give your child the best possible quality of life after a devastating birth injury.
Our founding partners, Donald G. Targan and Michael J. Pender, are established birth injury attorneys and have been recognized among the top five percent of medical malpractice lawyers in New Jersey. We work closely with medical experts to critically review the merits of every potential malpractice case. Our work on behalf of birth injury victims includes a substantial $500,000 recovery for the parents of a child who suffered severe brain injury caused by lack of oxygen and a delay in delivery.
Our Atlantic City medical malpractice attorneys and lawyers in Cape May want to help families secure the necessary and fair financial recovery after medical negligence by a health care provider results in preventable birth injuries. Get legal representation who is not afraid to take your case to court if it means obtaining the proper recovery your family deserves.
Preventable Birth Trauma Causes Cerebral Palsy and Injuries to Children
Medical negligence that takes place before, during or immediately after childbirth can cause severe injuries to pregnant women and newborn babies. What makes birth injury cases particularly egregious is that often the injuries inflicted were completely preventable. Common birth injuries due to negligence include:
- Cerebral palsy, causing life-long physical and cognitive impairment
- Erb’s palsy and brachial plexus injuries, causing loss of arm and shoulder use
- Facial nerve palsy, facial paralysis
- Defects caused by errors in medication prescribed to pregnant women
- Injuries from forceps or vacuums during childbirth
- Surgical errors and injuries suffered by mother or child during cesarean delivery (C-sections)
Available Compensation for Birth Injury Lawsuits Caused by Medical Negligence
It is unjust for innocent families to bear the financial costs of life-long injuries due to medical malpractice alone. Families will struggle to pay for the initial medical bills and the additional costs if the child sustains life-long physical or mental disabilities. Although every case is different, a birth injury lawsuit can provide for financial recovery of damages, including:
- Medical, hospital and surgical expenses
- Non-medical expenses, such as necessary home and car modifications
- Loss of past, present and future incomes to mother and child due to birth injuries
- Costs associated with raising a special needs child, including education and rehabilitation
- Compensation for physical injuries and disfigurement to the child and mother
- Pain, suffering and emotional distress suffered by the family
- Loss of companionship between spouses or parents and children
Contact Our Birth Injury Lawyer in Atlantic City or Cape May for a Free Case Review
Families coping with a child born with birth injuries require a birth injury lawyer with extensive experience investigating and litigating these claims before jury trials. The personal injury lawyers at Targan & Pender, P.C. are Certified Civil Trial Attorneys. In addition to practice at the trial level, our firm has successfully argued medical malpractice appeals before appellate courts and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
We have represented hundreds of families throughout the South Jersey area, including Erma, Whitesboro, Dennisville and victims across Middle township and Lower Township. If your family is dealing with birth injury as a result of medical negligence, contact a birth injury lawyer at our firm for a free case evaluation to explore what options are available to you.